Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Star Wars

So, what's the deal with men and Star Wars? I was at my daughter's soccer game the other night, and ran into one of my friends. As we talked he asked if I was going to let my son see the new Star Wars movie. I told him that I'd heard that this one had definitiely earned its PG-13 rating, and that I was going to check it out before letting Chris see it. He asked me when I was going and I told him that I would be at the 12:01 showing for the very first screening in our area. Then I told him I had an extra ticket and asked him if he wanted to go too.

Immediately he was like, "Oh yeah!" He began to think of every possible way to ask his wife if he could go. You see, that's the way it is with guys. We love action movies. The original Star Wars was the first movie that I ever saw in a theater. I was seven years old. I couldn't stop talking about the movie for weeks. Every game that I played for the next year revolved around the movie. I was Luke Skywalker saving the day. My second grade crush was always Princess Leia. It was great.

You know what's even better? The fact that Jesus Christ is a hero worth emulating. He is worth giving our very lives for. Like Star Wars, Jesus calls his followers to a heroic quest. His demands are tough. They are intimidating. They are impossible, apart from Him. Praise God that we have a Savior who is worth following.

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness."
Philippians 2:5-7

No comments: