Thursday, September 20, 2007

Start Running!

Psalm 119:32 - "I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free."

Are you a runner? I wish I was. I really do. It seems like every time I get into a rhythm with running, it is quickly disrupted. I could come up with every excuse in the book, but they all fall short. I dream about one day being able to say that I ran a marathon, but unless I start running it's never going to happen.

Are you a spiritual runner? Like running for exercise, running along the path of God requires moving beyond motivation to motion. David describes the state of his life as being one whose heart has been set free, after he runs in the path of God's command.

What does a heart that is set free look like?

It looks like a heart that feels no guilt. There are no lingering regrets. There is love found there. It's a love that can't get enough of the object of that heart's desire. What's the object? It's better asked, "Who is the object?" And, the answer is God. A heart that is set free can only be set free because of the touch of God within the person. It's only made possible because of Christ.

So, today, let me encourage you to run!

Run with God and in the end find a heart that has been set free.

Dear God,

Thank you that you have provided for us the path to a heart that is truly set free. Help us to run with you each and every day. Help the world around us to notice the joy in us that only you can bring in a life. May you be glorified in your church.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: