Thursday, November 02, 2006

Spiritual Moments

It was a profoundly spiritual moment when I saw this picture. 33 years ago there was a swingset in this yard. It was on Easter Sunday after listening to my Sunday School teacher share the story of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ that I was challenged so deeply in my life. I went home, considered what my Sunday School teacher had said, and prayed in this yard to ask Jesus to become my Savior and Lord. My life has never been the same.

This home is for sale now. I lived there from the time I was 2-7 and my brother Mark recently came across the MLS listing for the home. He e-mailed the photos from the MLS listing to every one of my siblings. I love what God did in that house in my life. He gave me parents who loved Him, brought me to church, and exposed me to the Gospel. Thanks Mom and Dad, and thank you God!

I had another cool spiritual moment recently. Erik and Joel Bakke came into my office and asked me if I had any books by Arthur Pink. Erik and Joel are in high school and Arthur Pink was born in 1886. I was blown away that they would want to read a book by Pink. I had Pink's commentary on Genesis in my library. It's called Gleanings in Genesis. When I pulled it off of the shelf, I thumbed through the book. A business card fell out. It said, Ray Schulenburg, on the front. Ray was my Grandpa. He died several years ago. There was a note from Grandpa on the card to me. It said, "Brian . . . some Bible teachers consider this the best exposition there is on Genesis. Study it. Grandpa" I'd never seen that note before. Kind of wierd to get a note from your Grandpa years after he's died. I let the guys borrow my book, but you can be sure that Gleanings In Genesis is at the top of my reading list.

Thanks God, for my spritual heritage that I take for granted way too much. You have blessed me beyond measure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved to read this post, along with the ones regarding the birthdays, Brian. How well do I remember the day you gave your life to our Lord out on a swing in our back yard. You couldn't wait to share your experience with Treena, our little next door neighbor girl who was about your age.
We had some good times at that home - the fishing pong a block away and the elementary school located behind our lot. I didn't know about the card grandpa left in your book. What a treasure!

Love,

Dad

Jennifer said...

Awesome thoughts! Makes me miss grandpa. I find the older I get, the more I want to find out about my theological heritage, and there are so many questions I want to ask grandpa. I guess I'll have to just wait until heaven, but then theological debates will not matter one bit and I'll get to see Jesus. Grandpa is already experiencing that. Wow!

Brian said...

Joanna,

That's my Grandpa. He was my hero.

Joanna said...

Awesome! I'm writing a book about my hero - my great grandpa - who was led to the Lord by your grandfather. He passed his legacy to our family, still going 4 generations later. : )