Monday, March 23, 2009

The Challenge

A couple years ago I decided to blog on all 176 verses of Psalm 119. It was one of the most enriching experiences of my Christian life. There was something special about focusing on one verse a day for an extended period of time. Now, I want to try something new. Last week, I had lunch with a former student of mine from my days at First Evangelical Free Church of Moline, Illinois. He told me that First Free has taken The Challenge this year. It's a church-wide challenge to read through the Bible in a year. The pastor is blogging on what is read. You can find out more at The Challenge 2009.

I love the blog that they are keeping. There is even room people to ask questions to the pastors of the church about what they are reading. So, today, I've decided to take the challenge to read through the Bible in a year. It's March 23rd, and I hope that March 22, 2010 will be my final day of my own one-year challenge.

I'll be using the Bible reading plan in the back of the ESV Study Bible. I like how they have it laid out. Each day you read Psalms and Wisdom Literature, Pentateuch and History of Israel Scripture, Chronicles and Prophets Scripture and Gospels and Epistles. Today, I'll be reading Psalm 82, Exodus 27:1-19, Nehemiah 8 and 1 Corinthians 1:1-17. I'll blog on it later on today.

No comments: