Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mist Stories from the Woodbury Community Church Web Site

Your Mist Stories!

On Sunday, May 3rd, Pastor Brian Schulenburg began a new series entitled: Mist Stories: The Intersection of Faith, Life and Love. At the conclusion of his sermon each person received a can of Sierra Mist. The can is supposed to be kept in a prominent place where you will see it every day as a reminder that your life is a mist. Then, at some point during the week, you are supposed to find a way to show love a friend, neighbor, co-worker, complete stranger, family member, etc. by using the can of Sierra Mist. We're not limiting you to showing love through a can of pop. The Sierra Mist is an idea generator that we are hoping will spur our congregation on towards pouring out God's love towards others in practical ways.

This page records your stories. If you have had a chance to share God's love in a practical way with someone this week, please e-mail Pastor Brian at bschulenburg@wccmn.org and share your story.

Loving Through Weed and Feed

"I had 1/3 bag of Weed and Feed left over after doing my own grass. So I spread it over my neighbor’s yard as well. He had just purchased a bag and can now take it back to the store." -- Anonymous

Giving Mom a Sierra Mist

"My mom was working very hard in our back yard. And, I was planning to give her my Sierra Mist after she was done working. So, after like an hour of work she asked if she could have water. So, instead of giving her water, I instead thought, 'Well, this is the perfect time I could give her one.' So then I went to get a glass, opened my Sierra Mist can and poured it in the glass. Then I stuck ice cubes in it and I gave it to my mom. And, first she thought it was water and she said, 'Thanks for the water.' And then she realized it was the Sierra Mist and she thought that was funny that my whole plan was to give it to her." -- Jeremy

Sharing a Sierra Mist With Neighbors

"My neighbors were working very hard also. So my mom and my dad said that I should get a Sierra Mist can, pour it in two cups and give it to my neighbors, because they were working so hard. Then I took a glass and filled it with ice and poured my Sierra Mist in again. I stuck on my shoes and went outside with my little brother. Finally when I got into the yard with my little brother he had the glasses and I was the one who was going to talk. So, I told them about the challenge in church we were having and my little brother gave them the Sierra Mist. Later, my other neighbor was working in his lawn. And so I decided that I would get him a Sierra Mist. And, so I brought that over to him and they were very happy that I gave it to them." -- Jeremy

Hoping For A Mist Story Revolution

"Our daughter was visiting for the weekend. As she began her trip back to her home in WI on Sunday afternoon I gave her my can of Sierra Mist telling her about what we were doing at WCC for the next month with the Mist series. She thought that her church would be interested in hearing about our Mist plans. We enjoy sharing information about our churches with each other and this is just one more connection for us." -- Linda

Baking Cookies for the Hospital

"Linda and I have been volunteering at the Hudson Hospital for the past year. Our task is very simple. We bake ( made from scratch) cookies in the kitchen and then distribute to patients, and visiting family members. In addition, we visit various areas in the hospital to share cookies with people waiting for scheduled appointments.

Most staff members of the hospital know us as "The Cookie People" The experience has given us the opportunity to meet a lot new people,share conversation, help brighten their day, and make a difference in our community. Blessings to all." -- Roger

Hosting a Garage Sale

One family agreed to host a Garage Sale for someone that couldn't have it at their home. They don't normally do Garage Sales, but saw this as a way to show love.

Bible Study Invitation

"I didn't hand out my Sierra Mist - but with it in mind - I invited my new neighbor to BSF on Thursday morning." - Kari

Sharing Sierra Mist Over Lunch

"This week I visited my sister at her work for lunch. We have enjoyed doing this for several years especially since I retired. Part of the joy is that I get to bring her lunch to her so she doesn't have to pack one. Her beverage this time was a can of Sierra Mist. Sharing our Mist Series information and some bible passages made for a wonderful lunch even more wonderful for us." - Linda

Barking Dog Mist Story

One member of our congregation has a neighbor whose dog barked for over an hour after 11:00 PM earlier in the week. After calling the man to let him know that he needed to get control of his dog, this church member went over to his home with a can of Sierra Mist and an invitation to join his small group. That barking dog may have just led to a life that will be changed.

Sharing Christ With A Stranger at Lunch

Two men in our congregation had an opportunity to go to lunch together. When one offered to pay for the other and the person refused, the man behind them in line said, "You can pay for me." So, they did. And they enjoyed a deep spiritual conversation for about an hour. The man did not receive Christ as his Savior, but he was very open to conversation and there are hopes of meeting again.

Garage Sale Love

Our congregation hosted a community-wide garage sale last weekend. While working the garage sale I had an opportunity to purchase toys for a number of the children who came through with their parents. The smile on their face was priceless as they left the Garage Sale. - Anonymous

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice place you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. BTW, why don't you change design :).

Anonymous said...

Interesting article as for me. I'd like to read a bit more concerning this theme. Thanks for sharing that data.

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice site you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Hilary Smith