Monday, March 08, 2010

Notes from my Bible Study for March 8, 2010

Today's Reading: Psalm 67, Exodus 12:31‐13:22, Ezra 3, Romans 5:1‐11

Psalm 67 -
Psalm 67:1 mimics the priestly blessing of Number 6:24-26. It is a common benediction that is used in churches. The first time I remember hearing the words, "The Lord make His face to shine upon you," was while preparing for my eighth grade graduation. Our class of middle schoolers was preparing to leave each other, and the last thing we would do as a class would be to sing the priestly blessing from Numbers. I remember thinking about all the places my eighth grade peers would attend school. I went to a high school that none of my junior high peers went to. I remember sincerely praying as we sang that God's face would shine upon my class.

I still keep in touch with many of those people. One of my eighth grade peers was Todd Beamer, one of the 9-11 heroes of Flight 93. God has used my classmates to do great things in this world. His face has truly shined upon them. What a wonderful thing to pray for!

Exodus 12:31-13:22 - It had happened. The Lord had delivered the people of Israel from the land of Egypt. And, as they left, the Egyptians showered the Israelites with gifts of silver and gold and clothing.

God took a personal interest in the Israelites. He knew that departing via the land of the Philistines might deter the Israelites, so He led them a different way, with a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. The people must have marveled in those early days at how gracious God's escape route had been.

Ezra 3 - The temple was the most sacred spot in all of Israel. It not only represented national pride, but it was the house where God dwelt! The the temple was destroyed, due to the sinfulness of the people of Judah, a nation mourned. The captivity had been long and hard. A generation had died out. And now, God was on the move.

The building of the altar and the temple was such a special thing. There were still a few alive who remembered the old temple. When they saw the foundation being laid, they wept. They wept tears of joy, and I'm sure tears of regret for the years that the nation had rejected God, prostituting themselves to other gods. Restoration, whether a building or a life is a beautiful thing!

Romans 5:1-11 - Paul was constantly amazed that Jesus loved him. He was, after all, an ex-murderer of Christians. God had so transformed Paul, that no matter what trials he went through in this life, he was at peace. God had made him whole. God had justified and forgiven him. God, while Paul was still a sinner, died for him! And, God died for you and me, while we were yet sinners.

Romans 5:8 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. It's simplicity and pure joy are awesome. God loves you, friend! He loves you so much!

No comments: