Monday, April 19, 2010

Notes from my Bible Study for April 19, 2010

Today's Reading: Psalm 109, Leviticus 15, Isaiah 19-20, Galatians 1:1-10

Psalm 109 -
4 In return for my love they accuse me, but I give myself to prayer

This is a psalm of David. He is praying that God will bring him relief from those who would seek to oppress him. I appreciate David's words in verse four. He is seeking to show love to people, and David is treated with accusations. Ever been there? I have. It's a painful place to be. So, what's David's response? He gives himself to prayer. Not complaining. Not whining to anyone who will listen. Not badmouthing his accusers. He simply goes to God in prayer. What a great model for us.

Leviticus 15 - This chapter dealt with the Old Testament laws concerning discharge from the human body, and when a man or a woman was considered unclean. As I read sections of Scripture like this one I am reminded that God created human beings and that our bodies are not anything to be ashamed of. The notes from the ESV Literary Study Bible for this passage say, "Again we need to abandon all squeamishness about the physical body and its discharges. A byproduct of these regulations is that we are given to understand that God created people as biological creatures and that we need to come to terms with our physical bodies." Well put.

Isaiah 19-20 - God's judgment against the Egypt during the time of Isaiah is written of in Isaiah 19-20. These chapters of Isaiah deal with God's judgment of much of the ancient near east world. What we see in these chapters is a picture of God's wrath against nations that have turned their back upon Him and become an enemy to His chosen people. We love to talk about the grace of God, but we don't like to think of God's wrath. If you are a recipient of God's grace today, thank Him, and tell others of His infinite mercy to those who will humble themselves and trust Him as Savior and Lord.

Galatians 1:1-10 - 6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

Wow! Do you get the idea that Paul was passionate about the Gospel? He cared so deeply about the truth. Yesterday in church, we talked about truth, and the importance of getting the truth right. As a pastor I am often times awed that God would allow me to communicate the timeless truths of His Word. I want to be so careful that the words that I share are true, and not just my opinion. Why? Because the Gospel; the Good News of Jesus Christ, is the most important thing on earth to communicate. I never want to preach a Gospel that is contrary to what God has taught us in His Word. If you are in a church that doesn't teach the Gospel, leave. Find a church that does. It's important that we don't waste our time in places that get the Gospel wrong, or ignore it altogether.

No comments: