Wednesday, June 15, 2005

twelve:o-one

It's 11:14 p.m. and for the second straight summer I find myself being inexplicibly drawn to the AMC Movie Theater, Eden Prairie Mall for yet another 12:01 release of a summer blockbuster film. Tonight's film? Batman Begins.

If history repeats itself I will no doubt snooze for a few minutes as my group of friends, all 10-12 years younger than me, take their turns snickering at the old youth pastor who just can't say, "no," to a movie premier.

In the past twelve months my little band of renegade youth workers have viewed the midnight releases of The Bourne Supremecy, I. Robot, Star Wars Episode III - The Revenge of the Sith, and now Batman Begins.

But, I'll surprise my friends this time. I will overcome! I will stay awake. For this is Batman! They don't know that each day after school my older brothers and I would crowd onto my parent's bed, each taking time to kick the other brother in his face, in order to get the best possible viewing space for reruns of the 1960's Batman television show. We'd watch the show on my parents 9" Black and White TV.

The show made us feel alive! We all wanted to be Adam West's Batman or Burt Ward's Robin. We all wanted to battle Catwoman, the Joker, the Penguin, and the Riddler. We shouted, "POW," when the screen read, "POW," and "ZOWIE," when the screen read, "ZOWIE." We were engrossed.

I still want to be the hero. I want to defeat the villian in my child's bad dream. To help the homeless guy get back on his feet. To find a place for the orphaned child to call home. To balance the family budget and have money left over.

My two youngest sons got a new CD recently. It's from Austraila. One of the songs is called Jesus is My Superhero. They love it, and I have to admit, it's become a Schulenburg family favorite! God, thanks for being my true superhero. You amaze me. You've rescued me. You love me with a neverending and never failing love. So, this movie is supposed to be about justice. Maybe I'll stay awake through it. But, if not . . .

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8
Well it's 11:28 and time for me to meet my posse. Thanks for listening, God. I love you. And, Jesus, You're my Superhero!

No comments: