Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Disappearing Shed

It's going away. The Chesholm Lane neighborhood is breathing a collective sigh of relief as the shed that has for the past two years stood decaying in our backyard is being torn down. It began as a dream. My teenage neighbors on either side of our home had always dreamed of building a giant fort. This fort was to be constructed entirely of wood that they collected while diving into the dumpsters at construction sights. Neither boy was allowed to build this fort on their own property. Their parents knew better. We didn't. We said, "Sure, go ahead. Build the fort." And, boy, did they. The fort was constructed as large as it could be without securing a building permit. It has a spot to hold a video projector, a screen to watch movies, and a carpeted loft. And, it was never sided. So, for two years our shed has been decaying. I never had the heart to tell the boys it needed to come down. I guess I always thought the fort would eventually fall down. It has withstood major storms, Minnesota winters, hail, snow, teenagers and it has stood strong. It has a very strong foundation.

Last night we began Operation Demolition. The entire roof of the structure was removed. It was so much fun to watch it come down. The fort will be a distant memory next week. But for now, shed a tear as my neighborhood eyesore goes away.

"I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."
Luke 6:47-49

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

ODE TO THE DISAPPEARING SHED

I always dreamed of you by day and by night,
The vastness of your structure and the greatness of your height.
The children would gather round your towering walls
Enacting embattlements like soldiers standing tall.
Teenagers met new friends while watching movies inside,
The soft carpet made it a place in which to abide.
It's hard to believe these days are long past,
The demolition process happened so fast.
And now I must say goodbye to you, my dear friend.
But your memory and legacy I will always defend.

Brian said...

Jenny,

I love the ODE TO THE DISAPPEARING SHED. It brought a tear to my eyes.