Monday, August 08, 2005

Weekend Memories

It's been a couple of weeks since my last post. Life has been crazy. Last week I spoke five different times. Each occasion was unique, and it was fun to watch God work. We leave for vacation this Thursday, and I can't wait! We'll be driving to Chicago on Thursday night, and then to to Michigan on Saturday morning.

This past weekend was a special one for the Schulenburgs. We drove a couple of hours north of the Twin Cities to the cabin of some of our dear friends. It was there that I saw a new side to our four-year-old son, Zachary. Our friends own a couple of wave runners and a boat. Zachary has shown himself to be quite the young daredevil. He loves speed. I put him in front of me on the waverunner, and after an initial 30 seconds or so of trepidation, Zachary said, "Daddy, go faster!" I went faster and faster until the waverunner could go no faster. That wasn't good enough for him. He still wanted to go faster. He giggled the entire time.

The next day, while watching his Breanna and Chris tube, he insisted on going on the tube. He loved it.

We had a great time at our friend's cabin. Jeremy caught nine fish on Saturday morning, using only a string and a stick -- two rock bass and seven sunnies.

When we arrived back home Saturday night we had a chance to catch up with some of our best friends from our days in the Quad Cities. Mary Walas, a young woman that Cyndi started discipling when she was in seventh grade spent the night with us. She is now in college, and it was ironic to think that Cyndi started discipling Mary at the same age that Breanna is now. I pray that Breanna will have that type of relationship with a mentor in her life. It was awesome catching up with Mary about a place and people that we love very much.

I preached at Wooddale's new daughter church, City Church on Sunday morning. It is always fun to see the joy and ownership that those involved in a church plant have. What a great morning.

Cyndi's parents arrived for a quick overnight stay yesterday afternoon. We had a great time hanging out, catching up, and eating out. We ate dinner at Ray's Azteca Mexican restaurant in Chanhassen. I'd heard about this restaurant from another Wooddale pastor. Wow, was it good! They had a mariachi band and it felt like we were at a Mexican celebration. We had a blast. Last night we played the Schulenburg's favorite game -- Sold! You'll have to ask me about it sometime.

Weekends like that are tough to top. It was so nice. Kind of makes me long for the days when I'm spending eternity in my Father's house . . .

"In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."
John 14:2-3

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm a Schulenburg, and I've never heard about your favorite game?!? What ARE you thinking? Time to teach it to me when you are hear in a couple days!