Monday, July 14, 2008

Kudos to the Evangelical Free Church of America

I was ordained as a pastor in the Evangelical Free Church of America in November of 2001. At the time of my ordination I had just left the EFCA church that I served as a youth pastor at for 5 1/2 years and began ministry in a church of a different denomination. I've kept my credentials with the EFCA. This past week the EFCA held their national conference. They did something that few denominations have had the courage to do. They revised their doctrinal statement. What was the major issue that the EFCA was hoping to address? Was this in response to liberalism creeping in the denomination? Was it due to gay clergy? Was it due to an embrace of open theism? No. The document, which had been first published in 1950 needed to be touched up. The denomination needed to take a look at contemporary issues in theology and reaffirm their doctrine for a new generation. I've phrased it poorly. This article does a great job truncating the issues. Check it out HERE.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so proud of the ECFA for making these revisions proactively in order to maintain biblical integrity in their doctrinal statement. May more demominations have the courage to follow suit and chart a theologically conservative course for succeeding generations!

Anonymous said...

That is courageous. Long overdue (like reparations for slavery), but courageous. Thanks for highlighting this!