Sunday, April 15, 2007

Tax Day Relief

Today is April 15th. This is the day that taxes are traditionally due for most Americans. Because April 15th falls on a Sunday this year, taxes are not due until Tuesday, April 17th. Procrastinators are engaged in a collective sigh of relief. For, this year, they have two extra days to get their taxes done. It's a two-day grace period, which allows them to wait until Monday, April 16th to get really stressed out.

I don't know about you, but I'm a big fan of grace. I loved when I was in school and was given an extension to finish a paper, or to study for an exam. I love it when I'm forgiven by someone, when I really don't deserve to be forgiven. I love it when I'm given two extra days to get my taxes done. And, I love that Jesus Christ has provided more than enough grace for me on the cross of Calvary.

So, have you accepted God's grace? Have you placed your trust completely in Jesus Christ for your salvation? Unlike tax day, which only gives grace every several years, God gives grace every day. Every day that you are alive is an extension of God's grace to you. Like tax day, we will all one day have to make an account of the way that we have lived our lives before a holy and righteous God. Unlike tax day, none of us know when that day will come. If we fail to seek God's forgiveness and allow Him to take control of our lives before the end of our lives, no extensions will be given. Your grace period is now. Don't procrastinate.

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."
-- Revelation 3:20

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had my taxes signed on the 15th and we probably mailed them today (16th). Thought you should know. But yes, grace is one of the most compelling things to me. In America's society it seems that we get condemned before we get mercy or grace. Being that God is suppose to be "the center of American life" or atleast this is how the world sees it, then how are we as Americans less merciful? With this attack at VT the first inclinations are to blame someone. We don't take time to mourn those who are lost. For that matter, we were trying to shift blame back and forth before we even knew how many had been lost or injured! We as Americans want to see other people at fault. No matter what the situation, we seem to be happy to know there was "someone blamed," yet the pain for the lost still exists. WHY! (ok so not totally on the lines of the post, but it has been bugging me all day. Even my mother got in on it.)

Anonymous said...

Great blog today Brian. Not too often that an altar call goes out over the blogosphere...