Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Beauty of Mercy

Matthew 5:7 - "Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."

Have you ever been extended grace by another person? It's a wonderful feeling. It's also pretty humbling. Grace is getting what we don't deserve. It's what God gives to each of us when He offers us His salvation. It's also what God expects us to give to others. But, did you know that there is a promise that comes from God to those who show mercy? It's found in Matthew 5:7. Jesus is teaching the Sermon on the Mount. He is towards the beginning of the sermon when he begins to speak about the attitudes of the Kingdom of Heaven. We've already looked at several of these attitudes. Today's verse deals with the merciful. And, it may be the most easy to understand of all of the beatitudes. Jesus is calling us to show mercy, and promises that when we do we will be shown mercy.

I know that this principle rings true in my life. I love to show mercy to those that have exended grace towards me. It comes pretty easy. Today was my last day at Wooddale. After our Baccalaureate Service I cleaned out my office. My wife and I had planned to do this quietly, and without any help. I just didn't want to make a big deal out of it. As I was going to clear it out, a former student offered his assistance. I told him, "Okay, but please don't tell others that I'm clearing my office out. I want tonight to be about their graduation, not my leaving." He agreed.

I had no idea how long it would take to clear out my office, but with the help of this young man, it was cleared out in about 30 minutes. When both my vehicle and Cyndi's were full, he offered to put the remaining boxes in his car and to drive them to my home for me. When we arrived, he unpacked the vehicles with me. Let me tell you, that was a gift! It was mercy. I wasn't expecting help, and really didn't want any; but I needed it. And, guess what else? When he needs help, I'm going to want to give it to him. Why? Because, blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Dear God,

We thank You for your mercy. We thank You for reaching out to us when we were still sinners. We thank You for the Body of Christ. May we always display compassion and grace. We love you so much!

In Jesus' name,

Amen!

No comments: