Sunday, September 21, 2008

Delusions and false gods

Psalm 4:1-2
"1 Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer. 2 How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods? Selah"

This morning I preached a sermon entitled The Church That Can't Stop Worshipping, at Woodbury Community Church. In the message we looked at five components of the heart that truly worships God. We discoverd that the heart of worship is a heart of humilty, obedience, sacrifice, allegiance, and love. When we talked about the heart of allegiance, we talked about God's desire for us to love Him, and no other gods.

How many of us have been guilty of pursuing other gods? I know that I have. In my dellusion, I've allowed myself to believe that something that was created by man could be more desirable than God. David, who asked God to answer Him when he called, recorded God's answer. God asks all people how long we will love our delusions and seek after false gods. I don't want God to have to ask me that question anymore. I, for one, want to be among those who say, "I have left my delusions and false gods once and for all. I have seen what the world has to offer, and it has come up empty compared to You."

May you demonstrate a heart of allegiance today!

Dear Heavenly Father,

It's easy to allow the world to crowd out Your voice. We don't want to do that anymore. We desire You, and want to live for your glory. Thank You for purusing us even during the times that we have failed to pursue You.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: