Saturday, September 20, 2008

Prayer First

Psalm 3

1 O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! 2 Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him." Selah 3 But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. 4 To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah 5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. 6 I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. 7 Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. 8 From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people. Selah

I love Psalm chapter three. It's a beautiful picture of the trust that David has in his God. No matter how many foes David had against him, he felt the presence and assurance of God's deliverance. When he was facing overwhelming odds, David rested in the truth that he could go to God in prayer, and that God would answer him.

Where do you go in the time of your great stress? God wants you to trust Him. He wants you to come to Him before you go to anyone else. This week I faced a situation where I needed God's wisdom. Instead of going to Him, I went to people. I talked about the area where I needed wisdom. I asked for opinions on what I should do. I got no shortage of good answers. But, I should have gone to God first. When I finally turned the situation over to Him, God answered. And, God answered in the most unexpected way. He loves to do that. As great as the opinions were that I received, none were as good as God's ultimate answer.

Like David, you can trust God with all of your stress. Give it to Him today, and wait to see how He answers.

Dear Heavenly Father,

You are a strategist like no other. While we make plans, You know the future. While we stress about decisions, You know the ultimate outcome. While we wonder where You are, You say, "I am here." Help us to come to You first. Help us to trust You with every area of our lives. You are our Ultimate Salvation and the only Hope we have. Thank You for always being there.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: