Monday, July 09, 2007

Sacrifice of Praise

Throughout my life, whenever I faced a trial, my mom would quote Hebrews 13:5 to me. It reads, "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise...." While she lavished her love and compassion on me, identifying with my pain, she would not allow me to wallow in self-pity for too long. Though I always expected it, I did not always enjoy having her gentle rebuke from Scripture. But she was always right, and those words renewed life to my weary soul. Real, genuine praise always requires a sacrifice. Praise is God's antidote to the pain.

I have never understood that difficult truth more clearly than I have in the past two weeks, and I have never seen it embodied more fully than I have in my mom's life as she lays in her hospital bed.

After witnessing the fear and confusion that bombarded my mom's mind and body last evening, we decided that we needed to spend today singing hymns of praise to God, reading Scripture passages, and reading all of your blog comments. My mom was in some pain, though she couldn't quite articulate where. She kept her eye tightly shut through our worship service. Her mouth was slightly open, and I could see the words of the hymns form on her tongue and lips ever so tenderly. She gave an almost imperceptible nod of her head each time I asked her if she would like me to sing another hymn to her. I read all of the Scriptures you have been leaving in your blog comments or sending me through e-mails, and her thirsty soul absorbed them like a sponge.

As Brian read aloud ALL of the comments you have left over the past several days, my mom verbalized "praise Jesus!" and "thank you, Lord!" She repeated each of your names, recalled her connections to each of you--from our physical family and our church family, to Wheaton Academy and Wooddale connections, to our personal friends from many years--and her heart soared as her smile grew wider with each word we read.

A fragrance sweeter than perfume was released from the ICU today. It rose above the Amerikan Hastanesi, soared higher than Istanbul, Turkey, reached beyond the earth, and transcended the heavens until it landed at the feet of Jesus. This fragrance is the beautiful sacrifice of praise.

Thank you for interceding on our behalf. My desire is that you may know the glory and greatness of our majestic God as a result!

With Love and Thanksgiving,
Jenny

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny, Thank you for writing this post. The word picture you painted about perfume was amazing. I could see it in my mind. Truly praise in this situation has been a tremendous sacrifice! You have done such a great job in such a terrible situation. I love you and miss you and can't wait to give you a great big hug when you come home. Jenny, you truly are gifted with words and I want you to know how much this touched me. Love, Cyndi for Bre, Chris, JJ, Zach, Muf and Lil

Anonymous said...

Please know that there are a lot of people here in the Quad Cities who continue to pray for you and your family. God is going to use this frightening situation to strengthen you all and I'm sure your witness to all those you meet in and out of the hospital is powerful. We praise God with you that your mother is a spiritually strong person and that her faith is such a blessing to all she meets. May God continue to bless you all and your mom as she shows greater progress day by day, one day at a time. Love to all,
Marceia Duhm (FEFC, Moline)

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! Bea, Jenny, Gordon, and Brian, keep praising our wonderful God, for the joy of the Lord is your strength. May you rest on God's promise to Paul: "My kindness is all you need. My power is strongest when you are weak" (2 Cor. 12:9). I look forward to seeing you again soon and rejoicing with you. Love, Rita

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord. Randy is my realtor and has become a good friend. My husband and I moved to Arizona recently but Randy is selling our home in Genoa IL. We have been praying as well as our church has been too. We are excited with the progress God has made in your mom's condition and trust His great works in days to come. God has such a precious jewel in your mom, i know this without having met her. We will keep praying that God will silence the demons that are haunting her mind and that He will carry out the plans to get her home. Thank you for your example in faith and strong hoep, trust in God it is inspiring.
Kandy Woodard, Rimrock, AZ

Anonymous said...

thanks for this story. it's powerful! and it was also encouraging to me.

and thanks for that verse, it's all very true.

In Him,
elizabeth zahorsky
(Brian's student)

Anonymous said...

Jenny, Thank you for the latest update - it was so encouraging. We rejoice that she is in her own room where you can be with her. We continue to pray for all of you and trust that each day will be better and better. Jeanette and Mark Foss