Saturday, August 25, 2007

Some People Have To Learn The Hard Way

Psalm 119:6 - "Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all of your commands."

I am super sore tonight. My son Jeremy and I decided to take the longest bike ride of Jeremy's life. We had a great time. We rode from our home to a local park about 3 miles away and then rode all around the lake at that park. By the time our bike ride was done we had traveled about 9 miles. It was the best time I ever remember having with Jeremy. In fact, we had such a good time that we invited Jeremy's brother Chris to join us for a second ride about an hour later. And, we rode another 9 miles.

This wouldn't be a huge deal if I was in shape, but I'm not. I want to get in shape. I have good intentions. I work hard for short periods of time. And then, I revert to old habits.

In Psalm 119:6, the psalmist concludes his thought that was started in verse 5. Taken as two verses this passage would read, "Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees! Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands." I can relate. When I consider all of the commands of Christ, when I look at the demands that He places on those who follow Him, and then when I consider that I am far from steadfast in obeying Him, I too am put to shame. I'm so sore today because I know that it would be best for me if I worked out regularly. When I finally do it, I'm put to shame. But, if I keep doing it, I'll reap rewards. And, if I keep following Christ, I won't be put to shame.

Following Christ involves daily dying to self. It's a hard thing to do. But, it's worth it. So, today I choose to follow Christ. To allow His Spirit to reign in me. No matter how much it hurts, it's worth it. Because, God is doing a new work in me.

Dear God,

Help me to be so steadfast in following you that a day will come where I won't be put to shame when I consider all your commands. Thank you that you are patient with me. Help me to show love to others like you have to me.

In Jesus' Name,

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Brian, for sharing from your heart! Thanks for all you do for others so selflessly! Happy Birthday! KF