Thursday, August 23, 2007

You

Psalm 119:4 - "You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed."

You.

Three letters in our English language that convey so much.

The word, you, can carry with it, so many different emotions. The letters can bring about stress, when we are thinking of one who makes our life difficult. The letters can make our heart warm as we think about positive memories with people we love. The letters can melt our heart as we think about that one who has captured our heart. In the movie Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Darcy, in the film's climax pours out his love for Elizabeth with these words,

". . . My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on."

So, what do you think of when you hear the word, You, and the You refers to God? Are you terrified? Are you in awe? Are you grateful? Are you bewitched, body and soul, and do you love, love, love Him? Or, is it some combination of the above? Maybe it's none?

But, today, the word, You stopped me dead in my tracks.

Psalm 119:4 speaks of God; the only God. And it is God, who has laid down His precepts. God is serious. God expects that His law be fully obeyed.

You.

You!

This is huge. This is God, we're talking about.

You, Creator and Sustainer of life, Ruler of the universe, Savior, Master, Lover of my soul, the One who knows the number of hairs on my head, the archenemy of Satan, the One who gives and the One who takes away, the Good Shepherd, the Lily of the Valley, the Champion, the Man of Sorrows, my Advocate, my Judge, my God, You, have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed.

I stand in awe. . . of You.

Dear Heavenly Father,

You are . . . and I am not.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

1 comment:

marlene said...

AMEN! Love you, Aunt Marlene & Uncle Larry