Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Choose Wisely

Psalm 119:30 - "I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws."

I love the scene in the movie Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Indiana Jones stands in front of the knight who is guarding the holy grail. There are so many choices in front of Indiana Jones. He needs to choose the correct cup or he and his ailing father will die. Two of Jones' associates choose poorly and die. The knight had given all three the admonition to choose wisely.

In Psalm 119:30, David says that he has chosen the way of truth. Wise choice! Choosing to follow Jesus isn't always easy. But, it is always wise. There is a book in my library that was written about 20 years ago called, Love is a Decision. My wife and I started to go through that book while we were college students. I didn't like it. I couldn't possibly understand how anybody would have to choose to love someone. Anyone who has been married for any amount of time will tell you that to stay married, often times you have to choose to love someone. The same person who you fell in love with years ago can become difficult to love after all of the pretenses of dating are stripped away. True love says, "I choose to love you, no matter what."

And, that is the type of love that we are to show to God. We choose to love Him even when the temptations and the pull of the world are strong. Loving God means choosing to do what is right. It means picking Him above everything else.

May you choose wisely!

Dear God,

Thank you that when we choose You we don't go away disappointed. Following you brings us joy and satisfaction that the world will never understand. May we become less so that you become more.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: