Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The King Who Viewed Himself As A Servant

Psalm 119:17 - "Do good to your servant, and I will live; I will obey your word."

He had it all. He lived in a beautiful palace. He had great riches. The people that he ruled loved him. In the world in which he lived, David was the biggest celebrity. People around the world respected and feared him. He had servants who waited on him day and night. And, he recognized that in the grand scheme of life, he was nothing.

In Psalm 119:17, David implored God to be good to him. When I read this I want to say, "Duh, David, you are the king. God has been good." But, I think that David is recognizing that everything that is good, has been given to him by God. Even his life is in God's hands. That's why David asks for God to be good. Just as last week, we read of David's fear that God's Spirit would be taken from him, this week we see that David's fear of the Lord even extended to his very life.

David reveals something else about his character in this verse. And that is that he truly did regard himself as God's servant. That had to be tough for the celebrity King. And, yet, David, the man after God's own heart, probably didn't even give it a second thought. When David lived with God at the center of his life, and as God's servant, Israel prospered. When he strayed, his family and his country suffered.

In Psalm 84:10, David wrote, "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked."

He understood what it meant to be a servant. And, I need to learn all the more what it means to be a servant of God.

Dear God,

Help me to strive to descend to the role of a servant. Help me relish in the opportunities that I have to make You look good to the world around me. Help me to take joy in the low positions, and not seek to puff myself up. Help me to live for You and Your glory.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: