Monday, September 17, 2007

The Deception

Psalm 119:29 - "Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me through your law."

I don't know about you, but I'm not a big fan of the word deceitful. I don't like to deal with deceitful people. When I do, it's usually the last time. I don't like to see other people treated in a deceitful way. And, I certainly don't like it if the word decitful refers to me.

In Psalm 119:29, David asks the Lord to keep him from deceitful ways. He didn't point his fingers at other people's deceit. David squarely recognized that it was his own deception that required him to plead for the grace of God. Like David, you and I are guilty of deception too.

Have you ever fallen for the lie that you are better than others? You're not. You and I are guilty of being deceivers and being deceived when we feel that we have the right to act as the judge in the life of someone else. We have been deceived when we feel like we've got it all together.

Today, ask God to help you extend His grace to others as He has so lavishly extended it upon you. Ask Him to keep you from the deception that you can do it on your own. Ask Him to tranform you anew. And, ask Him to help you walk in His word.

Dear God,

We've done it again. We have somehow come to the conclusion that we are better than someone else. Help us to remember that the good that dwells inside of us is only because of you. Help us not to deceive or to be deceived.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: