Sunday, February 03, 2008

Super Bowl Salvation

Psalm 119:166 - "I wait for your salvation, O LORD, and I follow your commands."

This evening I spent the Super Bowl with 100+ senior highers in Wooddale's Hillside Rooms. We watched the game and at halftime watched LaDainian Tomlinson talk about his faith in Jesus Christ. It was a pre-recorded video that Sports Spectrum Magazine produced. They do this every year. They call their program Power To Win. This is fourth year in a row that we have done this outreach. And tonight, for the fourth year in a row, there were students who asked Jesus Christ to become their Lord and Savior at the end of the video. What an awesome night.

I was rooting for the Giants. I'm excited that they won. But, no victory on the football field could compare to the victory that took place in the lives of the students who asked Jesus Christ to be their Savior tonight! God moved. As a youth pastor I can relate with David's words in Psalm 119:166. Like David, I wait for God's salvation. Every year I pray that students will give their life to Christ on Super Bowl Sunday. Sure, David was probably praying for God's salvation from a situation that he was in, but the salvation that I talk about is no less significant. David lived pre-Christ's death on the cross. He had a faith that one day Messiah would come, but we have confidence that He has come, and He has come to give life and give it to the full.

Please pray for those students who made committments to Jesus tonight! These are the nights that make me love youth ministry. I missed the second half of the game. I was meeting with some students dealing with some pretty significant issues. Please pray for the students that were at the Super Bowl Party tonight, but are not ready to allow Christ to be Lord of their life. They are still waiting for God's salvation. My prayer is that they find it soon.

Dear God,

We rejoice, with You and the angels at those students who came to faith in You tonight. Guard the hearts and minds of these students and let them experience Your abundant life. Draw the hearts of those who don't know You to You.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: