Friday, January 01, 2010

Notes from my Bible Study - Day One

I'm writing a daily devotional for our church's blog, http://wccchallenge2010.blogspot.com, based upon the daily readings in our journey through the Bible in 2010. I've decided to include the notes that I am putting in my study Bible on this page.

Here are today's notes.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 - What an interesting way to begin the New Year! As I begin another season of life, looking back at what is behind and looking forward to what is ahead, it is important also to look within. What season of life am I in? What do I want to see God do during this season? How will I respond to His leading?

2009 was such a difficult year for so many people that I love. I'm praying that 2010 will be a better year, and that this season of life, which was a time to mourn for so many, will turn into a time for dancing.

No matter what happens this year, may it be a year where we seek to know and understand God; keeping Him as priority number one in all that we do.

Genesis 1 - It only took four words in our English language translations of Scripture before the Subject of the greatest book ever to be written was presented front and center for all to behold. In the beginning God . . .

History is His story from beginning to end. As I begin this year, I want to focus more on knowing my Creator. I want to please Him with my life. I want to live the great purpose for which He created me.

1 Chronicles 1 - I added no notes to my study Bible in this passage. But, I am curious as to what verse 19 is speaking about when it talks about the days that the earth was divided.

Luke 1:1-25 - I am blown away when I read the description of who John the Baptist would become, and what his calling in life would be. What an awesome calling it would be to make ready for the Lord a people prepared. I love the way that the ESV translates verse 17. John was to prepare a people for the Lord. He would be used by God to turn many of the Children of Israel to God (vs. 16). Notice it doesn't tell us that all people will be prepared. Not everyone is willing to hear the voice of God in their life. May our hearts be the hearts of people who are prepared for God's calling.

I love the way that Gabriel responds to to Zechariah's doubt. His words, "I stand in the presence of God, and I was sent to speak to you and bring you this good news," are awesome words. I think there are times when I doubt God that the Lord must want to use similar words with me. "Hey Brian, I am God! I have it under control. Are you doubting My word? Do you know who I am?"

May we be a people who trust God for who He says He is.

No comments: