Saturday, January 02, 2010

Notes from my Study Bible for January 2, 2010

Passages read today: Psalm 1, Genesis 2, 1 Chronicles 2, Luke 1:26-56

Psalm 1 - This entire Psalm blows me away with its simplicity and practical truth. How many people have been led astray by the company that they keep? God makes it so clear in this first psalm that our delight, our purpose, and our meaning stem from Him.

To the Jewish person, Torah, the law, (Genesis-Deuteronomy) represented the way, the truth and the life. The law was revered. It was worth giving one's all to. I wonder if we feel the same way.

The results of living a life with God's purposes is shown in verse 3. We bear fruit. We prosper in what we do, because our lives are about bringing glory and honor to Him. Does that prospering always happen this side of heaven? I wish. But, biblical prosperity must be understood in the context of eternity. Our lives on earth are but a blip. But, don't mistake it. That blip matters to God. We must be a people who live for Him on this side of eternity to experience prosperity on the other side of eternity. Bruce Wilkinson's book, A Life God Rewards, is a good study on spiritual rewards.

Genesis 2 - I love the description that Moses gave to the seventh day. It was the day of completion. The heavens and the earth had been created, and on the seventh day God rested. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it, God rested from all His work that He had done in creation.

Do you think God values rest? He commanded His people to honor the Sabbath and keep it holy. I know in my life, I take far too few Sabbaths. As 2010 starts, I want to honor this commandment. I want to truly take a sabbath. And, I want to remember why I do this. I do this because God loves this. He knew we needed rest.

I'm so glad that in verse 18, God knew that Adam would need a companion. There are times in my life that I like to energize by spending time alone. I find that isolation can be incredibly refreshing after busy seasons of ministry, or even after just a lot of time with people. But, a life of total isolation would be awful. Every human being was created with a need for companionship. I'm glad we have a God who meets our needs.

As I read verse 24, I was reminded of the many weddings that I have been a part of, including my own. When I married Cyndi, we became one. Little did I know what that meant on that day eighteen years ago. We had a chance to visit Cyndi's parents in Colorado this past week. It was a wonderful time to spend with Cyndi's mom and dad, who have very much become my second set of parents too. I love them. But, part of growing up for Cyndi and I, and every married couple, meant forming a new home. I realized this week that my father-in-law was three years older than I am right now when I met him. Life goes by so fast! There will come a time when my children will need to leave our home and form a new home. That will be a hard day for me. But, it is a good thing. It is a God-ordained and God-created thing. May we always value the sanctity of marriage!

1 Chronicles 2 - When I read about Judah's heirs, my heart breaks. And, I am blown away that Jesus came from this family tree. God is truly a God of grace. He can turn our destruction into beauty.

I am also stuck by how the Bible does not shy away from showing the flaws of the men and women whose lives are chronicled on its pages.

Luke 1:26-56 - There is a paragraph heading in my Bible that is located before verse 26. It simply says, "Birth of Jesus Foretold."

If words could jump off a page and shake a reader, these words should do so. I wish the words said, "Hey you . . . the one reading this passage of Scripture! Pay attention to what you are about to read because it changed EVERYTHING! History hinged upon this event. God sent an angel named Gabriel with the most fantastic bit of news that anyone in this world would ever hear. So, pay attention to the message! Keep reading about this One who was born and called the Son of teh Most High. He will change your life if you'll let Him!" That would be a much better and much more appropriate paragraph heading. But, then again, it might just be a little too wordy:)

I love how Gabriel addresses Mary; "Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!" A little bit later he says, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God."

So, how did she find favor with God? I read Psalm 1 earlier today. It spoke about the blessing that comes when we follow God. Mary followed God. She grew up in Nazareth, a terrible town if there ever was one. Nazareth was better known for its houses of prostitution than its houses of worship. But, Mary lived a righteous life in that unrighteous city. In verse 50, after seeing God work and after spending time with her cousin Elizabeth, Mary sang a song of worship to God. The song actually encompasses verses 46-55, but verse 50 gives us a clue into Mary's character. She sings that God's mercy is for those who "fear him from generation to generation."

Mary understood what Psalm 1 was all about. She understood what it meant to fear God and honor Him.

There is a prophetic nature to verses 31-33. Verses 32-33 tell us that Jesus will be given the throne of his father David and that he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end. Christ presently sits at the right hand of God the Father in the throne room of heaven. He reigns today, but I believe that he will actually be given the throne of David where He will reign in the future. That reign will never end.

Jesus is God . . . as God He reigns today . . . there are many who refuse to worship Him . . . one day all will worship Him. . . as God He will reign forever.

I love Elizabeth's faith! In verse 37 she says, "For nothing will be impossible with God." She is, of course, right. Nothing is impossible with God. May we recognize that truth when we are gripped with worry and fear! May we remember it when the world causes us to doubt!

1 comment:

Jeff Bauman said...

Pastor Brian,

Well it's day 2 and I'm not behind yet. So far so good!!

I'm sure you've seen this, but I just ran across it tonight. Check out esv.org/mobile where it has the entire ESV Bible available on your mobile phone for free. Scroll down to Literary Study Bible at the bottom of the page and it has Bible verses from the 1 year Bible reading plan we're using. It's a quick and easy way to read that day's verses if you don't have a Bible handy.

Thanks for starting The Challenge.

Jeff