Monday, January 25, 2010

Notes from my Bible Study for January 25, 2010

Today's Reading: Psalm 24, Genesis 23, 1 Chronicles 28, Luke 16:1-17:10

Psalm 24 -
When I read the qualifications of the person who may stand in the holy place of the LORD in Psalm 24:4, I think, this is the type of man I want to be. I want to be a person who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up my soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully.

I'm particularly struck by being a person who does not lift up my soul to what is false. There are so many lies all around us. If there is a continual spiritual battle around us, and I believe there is, and if our adversary is the father of lies, then we should expect that we are regularly hearing lies. As such, it becomes easy to lift our souls to what is false. It might be a false philosophy, or self-importance, or a craving for the things that are clearly against God.

Lord, help me to be someone who is continually seeking Your truth. Help me to be a man who runs after the things of Christ, not the things of this world. Help me to recognize that I can be a person with a pure heart through the power of your Holy Spirit.

Genesis 23 - I did not add any notes to this section of my Bible.

1 Chronicles 28 - There is something beautiful about the charge that a father gives to his son, when it is a charge that glorifies God.

That is the type of charge that David gave to Solomon in 1 Chronicles 28. We have already read in 1 Chronicles that David and Solomon had many conversations, but we have not been made privy to what was said in those conversations.In this chapter we get to read what David said to his son, and it is awesome.

David calls Solomon to worship God with a whole heart and a willing mind. Those are words coming from a man who was called a man after God's own heart. David wanted his son to know the joy of wholehearted servanthood to God. I find the words "willing mind" interesting. He didn't tell Solomon to have an intellectual mind or a discerning mind. He told him to have a willing mind. Our minds need to be willing to let God be God. He then challenges Solomon to seek God, and reminds him that if Solomon seeks God, God will be found. This is a promise repeated in so many places in the Bible. He also warns him not to forsake God, because if he does, Solomon is told that he will be cast off forever.

How awesome would it be if every Dad had that kind of talk with his sons? May we teach the next generation to seek after God's heart!

Luke 16:1-17:10 - Wow! There is so much here. It's tough to know where to start. Let me just say I am struck by the fact that God continually reminds us that He is God and only He is God. We cannot serve both God and money.

As a pastor, I'm struck by how many times I struggle with this. I know that God is the answer to my toughest problems, but somehow think that if I had more money my problems would somehow go away. That could not be further from the truth. I need God, not money, and until I come to grips with that, money will compete for the place that God deserves to be in my life.

Interesting that the religious leaders in Jesus' day were lovers of money. I wonder how far we have come.

Jesus didn't mince words when it came to divorce and remarriage. He is a God who truly does hate divorce. We need to view marriage as precious and not be so quick to throw marriage away when stress comes.

How severe God treats those who cause others to sin! I don't want to be the source of other's sin. No wonder Jesus, in the Lord's prayer, prayed "lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil." May we not be the one leading others into temptation!

I want faith that is larger than a mustard seed! Imagine what could happen with that kind of faith.

No comments: