Monday, January 18, 2010

Notes from my Bible Study for January 18, 2010

Passages Read: Psalm 17, Genesis 18:1‐15, 1 Chronicles 18‐20, Luke 11:1‐36

Psalm 17 -
When I was a boy I got lost in a big department store. I was scared to death. I remember running up and down the aisles, searching for my Dad with a look of sheer terror in my eyes. The store security guard must have noticed my fear, because he sought me out and asked what was going on.

I cried, "I can't find my Dad."

The security guard had heard it hundreds of times before, maybe even from another child already that day.

"What's your name, son?"

"Brian."

"Let's call for your Dad over the store intercom."

Little did I know it, but my Dad was desperately searching for me too. When the speakers in the store announced that there was a little lost boy looking for his Daddy, my Dad greeted me at store security.

He wrapped his arms around me and told me how worried he was. Then he kissed me.

We walked out of that store, arm in arm. Under the shadow of my Dad's strong arm, I felt safe.

David felt that way in the arms of God. In Psalm 17:8 we read, "Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings,"

What a beautiful verse! What a vivid reminder of the Father's love for us. May you find yourself hidden under the shadow of God's wings!

Genesis 18:1-15 - What a fascinating passage. Can you imagine what it would have been like to be Abraham? You are 99 years old, have been promised a child by God, you have doubted God, and now God shows up at your home to deliver the message that you will have a child to your wife.

There are three visitors that come. Verse three uses the Hebrew word adonay to suggest that one of the men is a divine manifestation. Imagine having God come to your home for dinner!

Abraham tells Sarah to prepare a meal, and the men eat. When God says that Sarah will bear a child in twelve months (news that Abraham laughed at in Genesis 17:17), she laughs.

God wonders aloud at why, and then reiterates that she will have a son in 12 months. Her monthly cycle had ended long ago, but God shows that nothing is impossible with Him.

1 Chronicles 18-20 - These chapters tell story after story of David's victories over his enemies. It is clear that the hand of God was upon David and his army.

I found it interesting that the chronicler did not include any mention of David's sin with Bathsheba in 1 Chronicles 20. The parallel passage in 2 Samuel 11 goes into great detail about David's moral failure.

David's sin with Bathsheba began with a compromise. He was a warrior king. It was his duty to go with his men into battle. God extended the borders of Israel to unprecedented lengths when David walked with God. Little did David know how greatly his decision to stay behind in Jerusalem while his men went into battle would impact his monarchy in a negative way. It was truly a turning point.

With that in mind, what strikes you about the victories of David in 1 Chronicles 18-20?

Luke 11:1-36 - Where to start? There is so much to comment on in this passage. I'll try to be brief on each.

I'm blessed as I read the Lord's Prayer. I love that Jesus taught this at the request of his disciples. They wanted to know how to pray, and Jesus taught them. He expands on his teaching in verses 5-13 where he talks about a father giving good gifts to his children, and a friend helping another friend. He tells us that God is willing to lavish so much more on His children, and He does it with a pure heart.

I want the kinds of gifts God gives out. Sometimes His gifts are painful. Sometimes they are not what I ask for. But, they are always for my best and His glory.

Interesting to read the Luke account of Jesus and Beelzebul. I preached on the Matthew version of this yesterday. In Matthew the term Beelzebub is used, in Luke it is Beelzebul. (For those from WCC that may be confused because I said Beelzebul is found in only two passages in the Bible).

Jesus begins to teach a "harder" message for his hearers in the passage. I think it is a turning point in how the people viewed Christ. He talks about what true blessedness and true discipleship is all about.

It's interesting to read what Jesus said about the sign of Jonah, and then to read about His passion for us to shine our lights in the world around us. I want to shine my light brighter.

No comments: