Monday, January 04, 2010

Notes from my Bible Study for January 4, 2010

Passages Read Today: Psalm 3, Genesis 4, 1 Chronicles 4, Luke 2:1‐21

Psalm 3 -
"Salvation belongs to the Lord." The words are simple enough, but the meaning is profound. Whenever we face stress, danger, opposition, etc. it is God whom we can turn to. David was fleeing from Absalom, his own son during the time that he wrote this psalm. It was God who would deliver him.

Genesis 4 - I find comfort in God's words to Cain in Genesis 4:6-7. I think that Cain felt like a victim. He was angry that God didn't approve of his offering, but God wanted Cain to know that he could do better. He warned Cain about the consequences of getting entangled in sin, and told him that he didn't need to get ensnared in sin. Cain had the ability to choose good. He didn't. The tragic results of Cain's sin is shown later on in this chapter as he kills Abel.

I always find the land of Nod, East of Eden (vs. 16) a fascinating phrase. It makes me wonder who the people were who lived there.

1 Chronicles 4 - I had forgotten the fact that in the middle of 1 Chronicles 4, and the listing of the genealogies, Jabez appears. I love the two verses that talk about his life. In 1 Chronicles 4:9-10, Jabez shows himself to be more honorable than his brothers. His name wouldn't have given a contemporary of his any indication that he was special, for it means that his mother bore him in pain.

But, his life must have been a delight to his mother. For, his life was a delight to God. Honor delights the Lord.

I want to be a man who lives a life that honors God. Jabez prayed for four very specific things in 1 Chronicles 4:10.

1) He prayed for God to bless him. Sometimes we are afraid to pray about such things. I remember hearing Louie Giglio speak once about prayer, and he encouraged us not to pray for God's blessings, because we have already been blessed. To be fair, Giglio was trashing trite prayers that a lot of people pray. I agree, we can't be careless in our prayer. And, we do need to recognize that God has already blessed us in incredible ways. But, Jabez's prayer would indicate that it is okay to ask God to bless you.

2) Jabez asked God to enlarge his border. This means that Jabez asked God to bless him specifically around the area of wealth and influence.

3) Jabez asked God to put his hand on him. He wanted his life to be marked by the working of God in his life. He wanted it to be clear that God was working in and through him.

4) Jabez asked for God to keep him from harm, so that he might not have pain.

In some ways, Jabez's prayer sounds like a lot of prayers that I have heard people pray over the years. God chose to grant what he asked.

God could have said, "No."

Jabez prayer is not a prescription for how all Christians should pray. It is one example of a prayer, that God chose to bless. But, I believe God blessed the prayer because Jabez asked for it with a pure heart. As an honorable man, he wanted to use what he had to advance the cause of Christ. Could I say the same when I pray such a prayer. And would I be content if God's answer was, "No. I'm going to allow you to go through hardship to be an example to others about living for me and living by faith in difficult circumstances."

Luke 2:1-21 - This passage brings back so many memories of childhood. Christmas Eve dinners at Grandma and Grandpa's house, school programs, church Christmas pageants, even the Charlie Brown Christmas pageant. This is what Christmas is all about. I thank the Lord for the beauty of this passage and for the awesome truth that it contains. Jesus was born! Jesus came for us. We have great news, because the Savior has been born.

Verse 19 has alwyas been my favorite verse in this chapter. The thought that Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart has always struck me. Mary's entire life changed in the span of nine months. God had done something wonderful in and through her. I wonder what was going through Mary's mind during these days.

No comments: