Friday, November 02, 2007

God's Discipline

Psalm 119:75 - "I know, O Lord, that your regulations are fair; you disciplined me because I needed it." (NLT)

He was so drunk that he was just about to pass out. The high school student had filled a 32 ounce container with Red Bull and Jack Daniels. 24 of the ounces were the hard liquor. He had spent the past couple of hours sipping on that concoction. When he started drinking a couple hours back, he took some perscription medecine that didn't belong to him. By the time I was brought to the student by his worried friends, his eyes were hardly open, and his blood pressure was dropping quickly. I quickly got him in my car and took him to the hospital.

It was quite a night. When the student became lucid enough to talk, he told me about what was going on in his life. Tough times at home and depression had led him to drink. The alcohol helped him forgot about his problems for a bit, but it never took the pain completely away. I told the student that I'd have to call his parents to pick him up. He understood. He was ready for a new lease on life. And, he was ready for the discipline. He knew he needed it.

I think most of us can relate. We know when we are wrong. And, whether we like it or not, discipline is sometimes just the thing we need. God disciplines his children. He disciplined David, and David thanked God for the discipline.

The student that was sent home, eventually enrolled in Alcoholics Anonymous. He got his life back on track. It wouldn't have happened had the discipline not come.

Thank God for the discipline that he brings to your life. No discipline is pleasent for the time, but in the end it brings healing.

Dear God,

Thank You for Your discipline. Thank you that you are not uncaring. Your love and care for us means that when we need it You bring correction to our lives. Help us to recognize it and rejoice in it.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: