Friday, November 23, 2007

Nothing Compares!

Psalm 119:96 - "To all perfection I see a limit; but your commands are boundless."

Perfection. Just hearing the word can seem a bit daunting, because we are far from perfection. Just when I think that I've perfected something, I'm brought back to earth in a grand display of humble pie.

I grew up a Chicago Bull basketball fan. When Michael Jordan joined the Bulls, he electrified the city of Chicago and the nation. His game was as close to perfection as I had ever seen. Jordan is fond of saying, "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." Yes, even the game's greatest player has failed over and over again. There is a limit to earthly perfection. But not to God's perfection.

God will never say, "I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." God always succeeds. Even when it looks like God is close to losing a battle, His ultimate plan triumphs. That's worth trusting in. He is worth placing all of your faith in.

Nothing compares to Christ. Nothing.

Dear God,

Thank You for Your utter perfection. I can't understand it. I am awed by it. But, greater still, I am awed by You. How can it be that You an infinitely perfect God would love me, an infinitely flawed human being. Nothing compares to You, Father. Nothing compares to You, Jesus. Nothing compares to You, Spirit. Nothing.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: