Saturday, October 06, 2007

Biblical Meditation

Psalm 119:48 - "I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love,
and I meditate on your decrees."

It's been 48 days now since I began this journey of a verse a day through Psalm 119 for 176 days. I have to say that these weeks have been some of the most spiritually satisfying that I have ever enjoyed. In today's verse, David talks about worshipping God. As he does, he lifts his hands toward heaven, in celebration of the commands of God. Again, David tells us that he loves the commands of God. And, then David tells us that he meditates on God's decrees.

That is, in a sense, what we have been doing these last 48 days. Many of you have undertaken this journey with me. You have meditated on God's Word. Instead of trying to digest large portions of God's Word, you have taken in delicious samples, bite sized portions, if you will, of God's Word.

How has it been?

I've loved these 48 days, but I've found that they make me hunger for more. I've been thinking about what comes next. One idea? To go through this same exercise with the words that Jesus spoke while he was here on earth. I'd begin with the Gospel of Mark, then go through Matthew, John, and finally Luke.

I don't know. It's just a thought. And, I'd probably do that paragraph by paragraph, rather than verse by verse.

But, for today, I am reminded of the value of biblical meditation, and in awe that God's Word is so alive.

Dear God,

It was the Apostle John who mentioned that all the books in all the world couldn't contain the stories about you. You are so vast. You are so wonderful. Thank you for Your Word. Thank you for the love that is literally shown all over the pages of Your Word. Thank You for allowing us to think deeply about Your words for hours on end and know that we are only scratching the surface.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: