Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Today's Students Are Crying Out For Knowledge

Psalm 119:66 - "Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I believe in your commands."

I just returned from spending 90 minutes with a group of teenagers at an event that we call Pizza and God Talk. It's a bi-monthly gathering of students who are committed to talking about spiritual things. These students come from a wide variety of perspectives. Some of the students are more committed to talking about God than others, but each night we meet I am amazed at their questions and insight.

Tonight's questions began with, "Is it ever okay to lie?" A spirited discussion was had by those in attendance. There was passion on both sides of the issue. Then the question, "Do the ends ever justify the means?" was asked. Another great discussion.

Tonight as I reflect on Psalm 119:66, I thank the Lord that David's prayer for being taught knowledge and good judgment is still be prayed by people today. God promises us that if we ask for wisdom that he will give it. Many people think that this generation of students is walking away from God. While there are many who have strayed, and while church attendance figures for people in the twenties is abysmal, I am blown away by the commitment of those students who do choose to walk with God. To walk with God in their generation is tough. And, yet, I see students doing it and shining as stars in their generation.

May God raise up a generation of students who call out to Him for knowledge and discernment. May these students, like David, change their world for Christ.

Dear God,

Today, we ask you for wisdom. We need your knowledge and discernment as we walk in our world. Thank you that you love us and have promised to give wisdom to those who ask.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

1 comment:

Len said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog. Thought I'd let you know.