Wednesday, October 17, 2007

True Confession

Psalm 119:59 - "I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes."

What is true confession? It is agreeing with God that what you have done is sin, and then turning from that sin. And, that is what David talks about in Psalm 119:59. He has considered his ways. And, upon consideration he has turned from them and to the statues of God.

So, when is the last time that you took time to truly consider your ways? Did you know that God desires that we would daily confess our sins to Him? When we are followers of Jesus Christ, it only makes sense that when we sin, it saddens us and causes us to want to make it right with God. True confession comes from a heart that desires to please God. True confession means that we will do everything in our power and with the power of the Holy Spirit working in us to stop the pattern of sin.

Does this mean that a Christian can attain sinless perfection here on earth? No. We will continue to struggle with sin as long as we are on this side of heaven. But confession, and living our lives in a way that is consistent with God's word will allow us glimpses of what heaven will be like. When we become passionate about the things that God is passionate about, our appetite for sin will decrease. And when the appetite decreases, our lives go better. Consider your ways, as I do the same.

Dear God,

Thank you for the brains that you have given us. Thank you that we have the ability to consider our ways. When I consider my ways I see so many ways in which I fall short. Help me to run to You and away from sin. Help me to make You look good in my generation.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: