Monday, October 15, 2007

Our Great Portion, Our Delight, Our God

Psalm 119:57 - "You are my portion, O LORD; I have promised to obey your words."

The New Living Translation simply translates this verse, "Lord, you are mine! I promise to obey your words!"

What a beautiful truth. If we are followers of Jesus Christ, He is ours, and we are His. When I think about God being my portion, or God being mine, I am blown away. We belong to God, but He has given Himself to us.

When a couple is married, we speak of them giving themselves to each other. As the bride of Christ, He has given Himself to us and for us. Because of that, how can we do anything but respond with obedience?

Our response should be that which many of us have sung in the old hymn, How Great Thou Art.

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!


God is great. His ways are hard to fathom. May we long for a relationship with Him that is growing sweeter and sweeter every day.


Dear God,

Thank you that the theological truth that You are ours is shown all over Scripture. Thank you that we belong to You. Help us to remember that You desire for us to honor You with our lives. You long for us to be faithful to You. You demand our obedience. Help us to be what You long for us to be.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: