Monday, October 01, 2007

It's True!

Psalm 119:43 - "Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws."

Prior to joining the staff of Wooddale Church, I served as the Student Ministries Pastor at First Evangelical Free Church in Moline, Illinois. I loved the years that our family spent there. They were years of learning. They were years that forced us to grow as a couple. They were the years that our last two children were born. And, they were years where we saw God work in special ways.

One of the things that I remember about the church building where we served was the cornerstone of the building. It was an engraved brick that said, "First Evangelical Free Church - Holding Forth the Word of Truth."

What do you call the Bible? I've heard it called God's word, the Word of God, the Bible, my biblical (from my best friend in high school), Scripture, the Holy Bible, and many other things. But, I don't believe that I've ever heard a friend or pastor refer to the Bible as the Word of Truth.

Think about the power of those words. God's word, unlike any other words that we will ever hear in life is absolutely true. There is not a bit of exageration in it. It's reliable. It is worth building our lives around. It is worth allowing it to transform our lives. God's word isn't God, but it is inspired. Not inspired like a sermon that I might preach, or a speech by a politician. It is truly he breath of God.

If it's been awhile since you've allowed yourself to be blown away by the Word of God, allow yourself to reflect on just how precious this Word of Truth is. Put your hope in the God of the word, and share about that pecious Word with the world aroudn you.

Dear God,

Your Word is true, and it's a precious gift. Thank you for giving it to us. Help us to immerse ourselves in your word and to share it with the world around us.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: