Friday, October 26, 2007

Do As I AM . . .

Psalm 119:68 - "You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees."

I wonder if a quote similar to the quote, "Do as I say, not as I do," existed during the time of David. I'm sure there had to be something similar. After all, every generation has had its share of hypocritical teachers. And, I think most of us would say that we don't enjoy listening to that type of teacher.

That's what is so refreshing about the truth that David expresses in verse 68 of Psalm 119. God is good, and God does what is good. Pretty revolutionary, huh? No, really; think about it! God is good, and God does what is good.

Wouldn't it be great if that could be said of everyone? Wouldn't it be great if Christ followers could say, "I am a Christ follower, and I live like a Christ follower!" It's what we should strive for.

In their book, The Big Idea, Dave Ferguson, Eric Bramlett, and Jon Ferguson suggest that we no longer use the word Christian. Does that make you a little bit uneasy? It does me. The reason that they give is because over 80% of Americans call themselves Christian, and there is relatively no difference between the way those who call themselves Christians live their lives and the way that non-Christians live their lives. That is a tragedy. I understand the authors' reticence to use the word. But, rather than give up a precious word, how about living it? How about if we call ourselves Christians, that we agree to live like Christians? It's not revolutionary. It's expected that we will. And, it's God and the world who are looking for it to happen. Lead the way in your generation. Let's live like God intended us to.

Dear God,

There is no sense of hypocrisy in You. Every time we sin, we prove ourselves to be hypocrites. Help us to live our lives in a way that brings You pleasure. Help us to live our lives with passion and without surrender for You. Thank you that you have given us your Holy Spirit. We can do this, with you.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: