Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Dry Eyes

Psalm 119:136 - "Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed."

Singer, songwriter, Keith Green died much too young. He was one of my heroes, when I was 12 years old. I was in Muskegon, Michigan in the Duneside Apartments when my Dad gave me the news that the plane that was carrying Keith Green had crashed. Keith was never coming back.

I think one of the reasons I admired Keith Green so much was that he was one of the most passionate followers of Christ that I had ever heard talk about Jesus. To a young boy, Keith was everything that I thought a Christian should be. He couldn't stand churches that weren't about evangelizing the world. I have a Keith Green CD that includes one of his sermons. In his sermon, Green lambasts churches who go an entire year without seeing a convert.

When I read today's verse I was immediately reminded of Keith. He wanted Christians to have tears in their eyes over the world around us. People going to hell should bring tears to our eyes.

Green wrote a song about it entitled, My Eyes Are Dry. Maybe you've heard it. The lyrics are below:

My eyes are dry
My faith is old
My heart is hard
My prayers are cold
And I know how I ought to be
Alive to you and dead to me

But what can be done
For an old heart like mine
Soften it up
With oil and wine
The oil is you, your spirit of love
Please wash me anew
With the wine of your blood


May your eyes well up with tears! And, may mine too.

Dear God,

There is a world around us that is headed straight for hell. And, so often we think about that with dry eyes. So often, we sin, and we wink, not thinking about what our sin cost You. Help us to be people of tears; to be people with sensitive hearts toward a lost and dying world. Help us to reflect Your glory and Your grace.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keith Green was my FAVORITE! I loved his "Last Days Ministry" that Melody continued for may years after his death. He and his ministry was so important in my life during those years. Thanks for the reminder of his life, testimony and music.