Thursday, January 31, 2008

To Tell The Truth

Psalm 119:163 - "I hate and abhor falsehood but I love your law."

Tomorrow morning I'll be speaking at the chapel service for the junior high where my son goes to school. I've been asked to speak about honesty. One of the illustrations that I'll use is the story of Pete Rose. Pete Rose was my favorite baseball player as I grew up. He is the owner of baseball's all time hits leader record. I'll never forget the night that Rose broke Ty Cobb's record. I was a teenager, and Rose was my hero. That winter I had the chance to meet Pete Rose. I asked him to autograph a baseball card and a baseball for me. He did and I own the ball and card to this day.

A few years later, Pete Rose was banned for life from the game that he loved. He would be told that he could never play Major League Baseball, manage a team, coach, or be elected to the Hall of Fame. Why? Because he was said to have bet on Major League games. The rumors swirled that he had bet against his own team while he was the manager. Rose denied betting. He denied and denied and denied. For years Rose maintained his innocense. He was a victim of circumstance. He lied.

Rose would later admit to betting. He was hoping that his admission of guilt would pave the way for him to be reinstated into the game. But, the game is not very forgiving to those who are involved in making decisions in a game, and then betting on that game. Rose displayed falsehood. I was crushed when Rose was caught cheating. And, I was apalled, because I thought that he was above that. "I'm certainly above that," I thought.

Years later I was involved in a couples Bible Study with my wife. I was serving at a church in Illinois, and we were talking about the need for openess and honesty in a marriage. I had become a pro at telling my wife that I'd leave for home right after work. 5:00 would come, and I'd continue working. 5:15? I was working. 5:30? Too often times working. I learned in that Bible Study that I was a liar. I was telling my wife one thing, with no intention of actually following through with what I told her that I would do. God hates that. It's falsehood. It's a lie. And, I, like my former hero, Pete Rose, was a liar.

How are you doing in the area of truth telling? Are you living your life in a way that glorfies God? Are you reflecting His truth to those around you? If not, let today be the day that you start telling the truth. After all, the truth will set you free.

Dear God,

Thank You that there is no falsehood in You. Help us to reflect Your truth. May our character be such that You are pleased.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: