Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Ruler Like No Other

Psalm 119:161 - "Rulers persecute me without cause, but my heart trembles at your word."

David was the King of the most powerful nation on earth. When the Israelite army marched into battle, nations feared them. They were a fighting machine, conquering nations and adding to the size of Israel with every victory. Opposing rulers hated David. He says in this verse that they persecuted him without cause. I'm sure they might have a different opinion of it. Either way it's interesting what David says in this verse about what causes him to tremble. It was not the leaders of other nations that caused him to tremble. It was the Word of God.

Has God's Word ever had that effect on you? It sure has on me. There are parts of the Word that I read and I can't help but tremble. I read Jesus' teaching on the sheep and the goats, and my stomach turns. It is hard to read about some who think that they are God's followers getting to heaven only to find out that who they were serving was not God. I read about the swift judgment that God bestowed on Annanias and Sapphira, and I tremble. I read about the stoning of Stephen and I tremble. I read about the cross and I tremble.

Our God is a ruler unlike any other. His very words can make us tremble. I often times think about what it would be like to spend quality time with various world leaders. I watch the presidential debates and wonder if the presidential contenders are intimidating figures. I wonder if I would tremble to be in their presence. This I know: that in the presence of God, even the most intimidating world leader would tremble. We will all have an audience with God some day. And, we will fall to our knees. May we not be like the goats; separated for eternity from God.

Read God's Word, and tremble! Read God's Word and rejoice! Read God's Word and let it change you! Our God is an awesome God.

Dear God,

You are a ruler like no other. Your Word challenges us and changes us. Thank You for Your precious Word.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: