Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Hope in The Word

Psalms 119:147 - "I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word."

Just a few moments ago, Senator Barack Obama declared that he was a Christian during the Democratic Candidate Presiential Debate in Las Vegas. He was responding to rumors that had been spread about him on the Internet. The rumors had been inferring that Obama was a Muslim who swore on the Koran and refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

Obama said the following, "I am a Christian ... I have been sworn in with a Bible ... I say the Pledge of Allegiance. ... In the Internet age there are going to be lies that are spread all over the place. ... Fortunately, the American people are smarter than folks give them credit for."

I hadn't heard about the Internet rumors before this evening. But when I did, it got me thinking about the role of the Bible, and why leaders swear upon it. And it brought today's verse back to my mind. King David declared that he put his hope in God's Word. Perhaps our leaders, when they take an oath of office upon God's Word should think about the significance of what it means. Like Israel's greatest King, our leaders ought to put their hope in God's Word. We live in uncertain times. All generations have. God's Word brings stability in this era of uncertainty. It also brings hope for a future that is better than anything that we can imagine.

Put your hope and trust in God's Word. It is worth building a life upon.

Dear God,

Your Word is indeed powerful. It inspires the soul. It brings hope. It is that which makes most sense in a world that makes little sense. Help us to make it a priority in our lives. Change us according to Your Word.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: