Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Power of One

Psalm 119:162 - "I rejoice in your promise like one who finds great spoil."

We had one of those special nights at The Garage tonight. It was a night where the Holy Spirit was at work in the lives of our students, and I watched and listened, and have already read e-mails tonight of how God worked. As I read today's verse I thought about our students.

David rejoiced is God's promise like one who had found a great treasure. Tonight, our students responded to God's Word in a similar way. It was an "Aha night." A night where the lightbulb finally clicked in the minds of a number of our students. We talked about spiritual leadership, and the leadership vacuum that there is in this generation. We talked about God's desire and passion for leaders. He is looking throughout the earth for those who will lead His church in the next generation. I believe that despite numbers that suggest the contrary, there is a generation of students that are truly longing to experience God. There is a generation of students that want to be the church. They want to be the kind of Christians that serve like Jesus served. They want to be the kind of Christians who are passionate about their faith. They want to live what they believe. But, they are afraid. They are afraid to stand out, or stand up. Tonight, I read an old poem by George Liddell. It says this:

Give me a man of God – one man,

Whose faith is master of his mind,

And I will right all wrongs

And bless the name of all mankind.



Give me a man of God – one man,

Whose tongue is touched with heaven’s fire,

And I will flame the darkest hearts

With high resolve and clean desire.



Give me a man of God – one man

One mighty prophet of the Lord,

And I will give you peace on earth

Bought with a prayer and not a sword



Give me a man of God – one man,

True to the vision that he sees,

And I will build your broken shrines

And bring the nations to their knees



I'm praying for more than one. But, if one comes out of The Garage tonight, our world will never be the same. I rejoice in God's promise, like one who finds a great treasure!

Dear God,

You are our Treasure. You are worth living for and giving our everything to. Help us to change this generation. Begin by changing us. Raise up a generation fo leaders who will impact this world by being Your church.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: