Monday, December 10, 2007

Faithful to the End

Psalm 119:112 - "My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end."

Great Christians throughout the ages have sought to be people who stay faithful to God to the very end of their lives. King David spoke of keeping God's decrees to the end of his life in Psalm 119:112.

In 2 Timothy 4:7-8 the Apostle Paul wrote, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing."

I'm 38 years old, and I pray that I will be one who was found faithful to the end, in my relationship with Jesus Christ. I love seeing the lives of older Christians who have walked with God throughout their lives. I love listening to senior citizens as they talk about their faith journey with Christ. And, I love hearing the stories of Christian leaders who continue to pour their lives into the work of Christ, even when they could have easily retired years before.

Several years ago someone told me the story of Billy Graham's final crusade in Sacremnento, California. Graham knew it would be his last crusade in the state of California. His Parkinson's disease was robbing him of the ability to continue to travel the globe, spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The people of California also knew that it would be Graham's last crusade in the state. So, many Christians volunteered to be counselors at the Graham crusade. One of the volunteers was a pastor. On the first night of the crusade, the pastor had an opportunity to pray with a man who was making a commitment to Jesus Christ after a life of alcohol abuse. The pastor stayed until 2:00 AM, talking to the man.

After his conversation with this new believer, the pastor decided that he would drive through downtown Sacaremento to see if there was anyone that he could share Christ with. He saw no one, until he came to the State Capitol. On the steps he saw what appeared to be a homeless man. Feeling led to share Christ with the man, the pastor parked his car and walked up the steps of teh Capitol building. When he came upon the man, he noticed that the man was bent over and his lips were moving. He said, "Sir, may I help you?" The old man looked up at the pastor and said, "No, son, I'm fine, I'm just praying for this great city." Instantly the pastor recognized that the old man was Billy Graham. Here it was, 2:30 in the morning and Billy Graham was outside of his hotel, on the Capitol steps, praying for the city of Sacremento. Billy said that he just couldn't sleep. He needed to be in prayer. He then asked the pastor to join him in prayer.

Billy Graham has been faitful to the end. It's what God desires of all of us. May we each be found faithful!

Dear God,

We want to be faithful to You until the end of our lives. You have demonstrated what it means to be faithful, and You call us to be like You. Help us to live lives of faithfulness, as you have shown us.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: