Friday, December 21, 2007

Spiritual Cataracts

Psalm 119:123 - "My eyes fail, looking for your salvation, looking for your righteous promise."

When I was growing up my Dad struggled with some eye problems. One of those issues was cataracts. I remember at least on cataract surgery. As a child, I didn't understand what was happening to Dad. I was scared that my Dad was going to go blind. He had a detached retina at one point, and going blind was a very real possibility. I remember thinking, "I wonder if he'll ever see my children. I wonder if he'll be able to view my wedding. I wonder how he will work. I wonder how he will get around the house."

God was faithful. My dad's surgeries restored his sight. Sometimes we need spiritual eye surgery. In the midst of daily life we can lose sight of God. It's easy to wonder how God is working in our lives. It's easy to lose faith. Maybe you've wondered if God really answers prayer. Maybe you have wondered if God is playing some kind of cruel joke on you. I assure you, He's not. God doesn't do that.

When preparing for a mission trip in college, my team leader told our team, "God is seldom early, but He's never late." When you feel like God isn't moving fast enough, the way that you want Him to, or in a way that is fair; remember that He is God and you are not. He hasn't forgotten you. But, He knows what is better for you than you do.

In Psalm 119:123, David admits his own weakness. He can't see God. He begs God to help him seethe salvation that can only be delivered by the hand of Almighty God. It's okay to ask God what He is doing. But, continue to trust. God's plan will work out in your life in His time.

I've been a bit uptight in recent months because the van that my wife drives has been falling apart. It has 170,000 miles on it, no heater, transmission that needs to be replaced, no a/c in the summer, and the ABS system is on the fritz. I've been driving the van for the past couple of months because I worry about her driving it in the winter. We have been praying for about a year for God to help us in our van situation. I would have loved to have had something within 24 hours of that prayer. God knew better. I was ready to rush to a dealer and take a loan with funds that we don't have. It would have been disaster. We have prayed and prayed about a van, and God has provided one. In about an hour, Cyndi and I will be picking up our new used van. It's a gift from a friend that God has blessed. He called us a couple months ago and said that he'd like to help with our van situation. We told him we'd like to try to drive our van until it died. It has become more and more apparent that the van is going to go. And, God, through a friend, took care of our needs. He's seldom early, but He's never late. When I struggled to see God's hand moving, it was moving. This is the seventh time God has provided a vehicle for our family. He is good, and His love endures forever.

Dear God,

Why do we ever doubt you? You are not slow in keeping Your promises. Thank You for Your provision. Thank You that You have given us a gift that is greater than any vehicle, any amount of earthly treasure, or any thing else we could imagine. It's the gift of Your salvation. Help those who may read this blog and not know You to put their faith in You. You are worth trusting in. You are our God. You are our Father. You our our Savior and our Lord. We love You.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: