Saturday, December 15, 2007

When God Intervenes

Psalm 119:117 - "Uphold me, and I will be delivered; I will always have regard for your decrees."

When I was a teenager my brothers, Randy and Kevin, and I went for a drive. Randy was the driver and Kevin was in the front seat with him. I was in the middle seat of our family's station wagon. While we were riding along the road, enjoying ourselves, a drunk driver came barreling down the road and hit our car head on. It was quite a collision. As our car was impacted by the drunk driver's car, I felt my body moving forward, as if I was going to end up in the front seat, or worse yet in the windshield of our car. It was then that I felt two strong hands push me back.

When the shock of the event was over, I said, "Thanks, guys, you saved my life!" to my brothers. The replied, "What do you mean, we saved your life?" I said, "You pushed me back when I was heading towards the windshield."

"We didn't touch you," they replied. "My hands were on the stearing wheel," said Randy. "Yeah, and mine were on the dashboard," replied Kevin.

I'll never forget that moment. It's been over 20 years, and I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a moment in my life where I believe God directly intervened to make sure that I was safe. I can't explain whose hands those were that pushed me back. But, I know that I felt them. And, I know that my God is certainly capable of intervening in a situation like that. It may have been an angel. It may be that my brothers really did push me back and in the frenzy of the situation didn't realize it. But, God is ultimately the reason that I'm here today. And, in light of that, I owe my life to Him. And, that's just one reason.

God has sustained my life over and over again. Many times I am unaware of His intervention. But, I am quite well aware of His eternal intervention in my life too. It's because of the death of Christ on the cross that I can have the hope that David had, that God upholds, and God delivers. He has upheld my life, both physically and eternally. And, He deserves glory, honor and praise.

Dear God,

To You is due glory, honor and praise. You are the Sustainer of life. Thank You for each and every day that You give us. You are our Rock and our Redeemer.

In Jesus' Name,

Amen.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow, I learn so much about our family from your blog that I never knew before! Praise God for protecting you three!