Friday, December 07, 2007

My New Book Was Released Today

It's been a long time coming, but What's The Deal With . . . is now available. You can read more about the book, see a sample of the product, or purchase a copy HERE. I received my author's copy a couple of days ago and am delighted with the final product. Many thanks to the folks at Zondervan for putting together such a great finished product. Thanks too to Greg Stier, of Dare 2 Share Ministries who so kindly agreed to write the forward to the book.

This book tells the story of Pizza and God Talk, a ministry that we began several years ago to answer the theological questions that high schoolers have. (Students basically gather together twice a month to ask any question they want about God, the Bible, spirituality, other religions, etc. The deal we have is that students have to answer the question first, then an adult can. We see 50-80 students come every time we have one of these events.)

After telling the story, I've included 500 of the questions that our students have asked throughout the years. A lot of my friends have asked if the answers are in the book. They're not. That would be a theology book, and there are many people more qualified to write that than me. What I wanted readers to see was the real questions that students are asking today. More than that, I'm hoping that parents, youth pastors, Sunday School teachers, and mentors will go through these questions with students. The book will open up discussions about deep theological issues. Because there are no answers, it will require those engaging in the questions to go to the Bible to see what God has to say about the issue. I am praying that God uses this book to draw people into a deeper walk with Him.

In the past few years hundreds of youth workers (thanks in great part to Greg Stier telling the Pizza and God Talk story at Dare 2 Share events) have talked with me about starting Pizza and God Talk ministries at their church. Many don't know where to start. This book will help. Pick 2-3 of these questions a night and discuss them with your students. The questions will lead to further questions, and before you know it, students will be coming up with their own questions.

Some people are afraid of starting a ministry like Pizza and God Talk because they are afraid they won't know the answer to the question. Not all answers are knowable. We will find out some of them when we get to heaven. But, I have seen God use students, time after time, to give an answer to a question that I wouldn't have known the answer to. It is beautiful to see how God works, and humbling how He uses our students to teach us. I hope you'll pick up a copy of the book and see how God can use it in your sphere of influence.

God bless!

2 comments:

Len said...

Congrats Brian. I know it's fun to hold it for the first time.

Brian said...

Thanks, Len. Hey I really enjoy your blog. I added a link to yours from mine. God bless.