Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hope in the Midst of Homelessness

Psalm 119:118 - "You reject all who stray from your decrees, for their deceitfulness is in vain."

On Friday night we took about 50 people downtown Minneapolis to serve the homeless. One of the young men that we met when we were there really enjoyed our group. He clearly had some experience being around Christians. He knew the worship songs that we sang, and even requested that we sing the song God of Wonders. And, he was clearly destitute. He's living on the floor of a shelter. He's unemployed. He has broken relationships with his parents, his relatives, his friends. What a lonely place to be at Christmas time. I invited him to Wooddale Church and told him that he could catch a city bus to our church. I never thought I'd see him again.

Today, when I walked upstairs after our senior high class, there he was; in our cafe. I approached him and welcomed him to our church. He had been to Wooddale's 10:15 service, and he loved it. I took him to meet Chad Erlenborn, our Young Adults Pastor. He had a good visit with him. I went to worship at our 11:30 service. When I walked out, the young man met me at the steps. He clearly wanted to talk. I had a meeting with our student leadership team at 12:45, so I invited him to the meeting. We do a Bible Study at our meeting, and I asked him if he had a Bible. He didn't, so I offered him one of our graduation Bibles that were left over from last year's baccalaureate service. He was thrilled. He was rubbing his Bible throughout the meeting like it was something that was precious to him.

After the meeting, I took this man to lunch. He ate like he hadn't had a good meal in days. And, he talked. And, he talked. And, you get the idea. He told me about his life. He shared with me about living with his father, and not knowing his mother until a few years ago. He talked about going through treatment for addictions to meth and crack cocaine. He talked about losing the love of his life. And, he talked about his on-again-off-again relationship with God. And, his story reminds me of today's verse. He has rejected God's truth, over and over again throughout his life. And, God has continually called him back. The young man is afraid that he's lost any chance of reconciliation with God. After all, his family is through with him. There are no more chances.

So, is this young guy without hope? No. God will continue to give him chances. Eventually the chances run out, but as long as the young man has breath, God has left room for the young man to humble himself and come to Christ. He's not sure that he can do it. But, he's taking the first step. He wants to come back to Wooddale again next week. I didn't give him money. I bought him a lunch and a Bible. He didn't ask for funds. He came to church today because he is at the end of his rope. There is no where else to turn. May today be the day that he finds his way back. God is there, running toward him. I hope he'll find his way back to God's arms.

Dear God,

It's so easy to forget all that You have done for us. It's easy to think that we know what's best for our lives. You love to work in our lives in marvelous ways. Help us to grab hold of You, and help us to never let go.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What an amazing divine appointment God had for you this weekend! I'm so thankful that you're willing to reach out to precious people made in the image of God who are hurting and don't know their Savior. You are a blessing to EVERYONE who knows you. Love ya, bro!

Ariah said...

Thanks for sharing this.

Any new developments?