Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A Word to the Suffering

Psalm 119:107 - "I have suffered much; preserve my life, O LORD, according to your word."

There are lots of times in my life that I feel sorry for myself. I don't like the way that certain things have turned out. Or, I don't like something that I have, or am jealous of what others do have. But, when I really think about it, I haven't suffered much in life. I have it pretty good.

Others aren't as fortunate. I know that there are those who read my blog every day who feel like David. They fell like they have suffered much, and they have. Life has thrown a cruel curve ball in their direction, and the pain has been so deep. Maybe you feel like you need God to preserve your life today. I want to encourage you to share that with someone that you know, and someone that you can trust to pray for you. God created you to live in community with others. He wants to lift you up. He wants you to spend time saturated in His Word. Read Scripture with a friend. Pray together. If there is no one else around, pick up your Bible and read it alone. Pray, like David, to the God who cares.

As good as my life has been, there have been times where I have felt surrounded by darkness. Tomorrow, I'll be teaching self-esteem at Eden Prairie High School. I share with the students about a time in middle school where I was so depressed, that in my immaturity I wanted to take my life. God surrounded me with quality people who showed me love, and taught me about God's love on a deep level. My parents were some of those people. My sixth grade teacher, Miss Bingham, was another one. She had our entire class memorize Psalm 139 that year. I call Psalm 139:16-18 the Bible verses that saved my life. They say,

"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! And when I wake up, you are still with me!"(NLT)

The verses taught me about God's great love, and His plan for me. Year's later I would learn Jeremiah 29:11, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' says the Lord. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.'" I love that great verse of hope.

God hears the cry of the suffering. He loves You. Bring your suffering to Him.

Dear God,

It's not easy to go through suffering. But, You know that. Because, You have suffered more than any of us every will. Help us to remember Your love, your tender compassion, and Your gooddness, even in our storms. Thank You for even our suffering.

In Jesus' name,

Amen.

No comments: